Thursday, September 06, 2012

Getting into the School Year Swing

Mina started the first day of school with happiest of faces. That afternoon, pickup was quite a bit less exciting. In fact, she was so exhausted that she cried for at least 30 minutes straight. Still, every morning, she pops up ready for school. We have had the added bonus of Meme helping to relax the separation anxiety... Now that we are finishing our fourth week of classes, some of the changes in her school life are rubbing off at home. Mina is more polite, thoughtful,and helpful. Still my little spark of course- Her spirit has not been dulled except from the exhaustion of a very long day. She is herself, only more refined. I see in the kids at her school much of the same. A reflex to help others, without prompting. The most touching of moments happened when Mina was having a rough morning and she sat on the ground in protest. Quietly, a little girl from her class, Annie, came to sit by her. She said nothing, simply sat down as a sign of support and solidarity. It still moves me. Jovie is also struggling with the change. She does not seem to want me around. Or she just wants to watch tv all day. When we go to get Mina (or conversely when Mina and I pick Jovie up from preschool) Jovie will push me out of the way to hug Mina first. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that the girls are so close. I hope that is something that continues into their adult lives, and after Damon and I are gone... But I feel lost. I have one child clinging to me, and one pushing me away. And their situations are such that I cannot seem to make either fully satisfied. I can't seem to find myself either.

No comments: