Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Clumsy Runner

Perhaps this will become a regular thing, I have no clue... By since January 2nd, D and I have been training for a 5k. Training has been very slow and has been challenging. Bt now I find myself anxious and discouraged, I ws truly feeling like a runner... Like I enjoyed jamming hoe earbuds into my ears and feeling my feet hit the pavement- finding that laser focus on the lights ahead of me and settling into a hypnosis. Short lived of course, since our training was staggered in intervals of jogging and brisk walking.

I had no idea running was so involved mentally. I thought you put on shoes, strapped the boobs down and went. Nope. It is much more mindful and tricky. My gait is not quite right and if kinesiology class Did me any good, I recall I have an underpronted foot. Which causes me to "roll" it regularly. This once landed me in a hot pink cast up to my knee that did not come off until 3 weeks before my wedding.

Recently I rolled it again, doing a massively clumsy fall. Rolling my foot, missing the last 2 stairs and landing awkwardly on my knees and ankles. (IMSAVED THE CAMERA!!!) I thought I was fine, sore, but running or walking would loosen it up. After a few running attempts, it is obvious that I have reinjured myself. No cast required thus far. None expected.

So I am taking a step back and that scares the hell out of me.m I wonder if I will be able to restart after taking a break. Even walking for extended periods of time hurts.

I will find something else to help me increase my stamina and strength. Perhaps some yoga and low impact aerobics. Was thinking Zumba, but after tonight's practice, I am seeing sweeping and blah blah blah

Maybe yoga is in my future.

I have to get back to running though. I am a runner. I never thought I wouild say that.... Especially not in my current physical state... But there is something I love about it. When I get into that zone...the zen... I like to call it running hypnosis. Or maybe running hypnotized. You see what is in front of you, you stare at it and it is like a tractor beam pulls you to it.

I would like to be able to come home and not find myself on the floor in pain. I would like to feel less like my legs are filled with boiling liquid lead. And I would prefer not to feel the need to cry afterwards... That may just be my endorphins kicking in and my brain having no idea what to do with a flux of chemicals, of my wishes, the is the last I am worried about.

It is my plan to get back out there and run a 5k this year. In fact, I have my eyes set on the gobbler grind all the way in November. It is a longer term goal and I think I can handle these early setbacks and still make it there in time.

2 comments:

mandy bananajam said...

You can do it! I have been doing the P90X yoga video once per week and I really like it. It's challenging enough to build up a sweat, but you can take the challenge down if you need to and work your way up to the more advanced moves.

Krista said...

What about some ankle braces, or light supports? Or maybe taping? My mother pronates and the podiatrist told me in December I supinate slightly.